FIRE destroyed three rooms of a two-story residential building and damaged six others in Barangay Capitol Site, Cebu City yesterday morning.
Investigation showed the fire started in the first room on the second floor of Amadora’s Apartment and the flames quickly spread to the second and third rooms.
SFO2 Emiliano Daño said it’s possible that electrical misuse caused the fire.
He pegged the damage to property at P500,000.
Police officers rescued two dogs from the apartment, radio dyRC reported.
Sheila Marie Taberos, a helper in the apartment, told Daño that the first room was closed and no one was inside.
Resident Eddie Palmes suffered a wound in the right shoulder after he was hit by debris while he was guiding firefighters.
He was treated by medical personnel of the Cebu City Emergency Service.
The Cebu City Fire Station received a call for help from Vicky Amadora, the apartment’s manager, at 8:35 a.m.
Firefighters, including volunteers, rushed to the area and contained the flames from damaging other establishments after 15 minutes.
Affected Capitol employees
The fire, which was put out at 10:41 a.m., also affected five Capitol employees. They were identified as Jonel Candia and brothers Isagani and Ponciano Caayon and their nephew Jonas Caayon, all from the Provincial Engineering Office; and their sister Marites Redoble from the Provincial General Services Office.
They and the other fire victims can expect assistance from the Provincial Government.
The governor’s office will also “pass the hat” or collect donations from other Capitol employees to raise funds for them.
The Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) is preparing relief goods for them like cooking pots, rice, sleeping mat and blanket, water containers and bottled water.
The PSWDO, though, is yet to get a complete list of fire victims.
Also yesterday morning, a reported electrical malfunction caused a spark and smoke inside a fast-food joint in a mall on Colon St., Cebu City.
By the time firefighters responded, the mall’s crew had fixed the problem.