THREE buses for Suroy-Suroy sa Sugbo left Cebu City yesterday with many seats unoccupied after half of the guests cancelled their reservation.
Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale said that 102 guests from Cebu City decided not to join the Suroy-Suroy because they were busy with the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) preparations. The IEC will be held in Cebu City from Jan. 24-31.
The three-day tourism tour kicked off yesterday. The guests are expected to be back in the city tomorrow.
The Suroy-Suroy southern getaway will visit tourist sites in 10 local government units in the south–Talisay City, Carcar City, Barili, Moalboal, Alegria, Oslob, Santander, Boljoon, Dalaguete and Argao.
The Provincial Government excluded the town of Malabuyoc in the list of areas to be visited because of the road-right-of-way problem leading to the Mainit Spring.
Magpale said Suroy-Suroy accepts 200 guests every tour. However, with the cancellation of the 102 participants, only about 100 people, including the tour guides and Capitol officials, joined the southern getaway this year.
Magpale said the participants cancelled their reservations a week before the scheduled tour.
“Daghan baya mi’g gibalibaran. Ingon naman nga fully booked. Two hundred ra man ta kutob (We declined requests of some people who wanted to join because it was already fully booked. We can only accommodate 200),” she said.
Magpale said that a portion of the reservation fee will be retained because the Province has booked the guests to different resorts.
Last year, the tickets for the Suroy-Suroy southern tour were sold out.