THE authorities warn: Beware of homosexual pickpockets in the party areas on Gen. Maxilom Ave. in Cebu City on weekend nights.
Last Saturday, the police arrested two of them who attempted to pick from a Japanese tourist’s pants a wallet containing cards and cash.
Despite the arrest of 19-year-old Patrick Corcuera and 31-year-old Jesus Polestico, Naoki Nemoto, the victim, failed to recover his items.
The two claimed it had been taken by their cohort, a certain Kenneth, after they picked it from Naoki’s pocket.
Naoki was on the road outside Pakal’s Restaurant that night when Polestico and Corcuera passed by him.
Naoki noticed that his wallet was gone only after the two walked away from him.
The incident, however, proved to be an unfortunate one for Polestico and Corcuera, when two police officers caught them picking Naoki’s pocket.
PO3 Awing Tabayad and PO1 Santos Catipay Jr. then rushed to get past the two suspects, who were joined by Kenneth taking the wallet for himself.
Kenneth was able to elude arrest, but not Polestico and Corcuera, whom the Japanese victim eventually identified as the ones who bumped against him on the road.
Naoki is the second Japanese to be victimized by thieves in the area last month.
Before dawn last Jan. 12, 21-year-old Tatsuro Asakura was waiting for a cab near the Mango Square mall when two girls ran to him and clutched his pocket.
That time, law enforcers failed to arrest the female suspects.
Senior Insp. Randy Caballes, acting chief of the Police Station 2, said the area is one of their patrolling priorities.
“Diha atong mobile patrol mag-standby from time to time para dali mapahawa ang mga bata if naa na (Our patrol car would always be parked there at night to rescue children who would victimize innocent party-goers),” Caballes said.
On the same day, two other Japanese landed in the hospital after the habal-habal (motorcycle-for-hire) they had ridden suddenly crashed in IT Park.
Yamanaka Satoko, 27, and Wakabayashi Serina, 29, have been confined at the Cebu Doctors’ Hospital since the incident.
Complaints of reckless imprudence resulting to physical injuries are being prepared against the driver, 49-year-old Concordio Amaleona, before the Office of the City Prosecutor of Cebu today.