THE police reportedly has a video of the alleged confrontation between the Regional Intelligence Division (RID) personnel and the group of Assistant Cebu City Prosecutor Mary Ann Castro, a lawyer said.
Lawyer Inocencio de la Cerna, consultant of the RID, did not elaborate on the content of the footage in a phone interview, saying the police officials still have to discuss their other legal options against the controversial prosecutor.
For her part, Castro will file a complaint against the police today before the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas.
The controversy hounding Castro may have taken its toll on her father’s health, and she’s blaming police officers for it.
She told Sun.Star Cebu last night that her father was rushed to the hospital for a medical emergency.
“I know this has got to do with the incident on me. My father was not able to withstand it. Simbako maunsa akong amahan, magbabayad taga RSOG! (Whatever happens to my father, RSOG will have to answer for it),” she said in a text message.
The incident involving Castro and police officers, which happened exactly a week ago, caught the attention of some officials of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP).
Lawyer Mae Elaine Bathan, the IBP Eastern Visayas governor, said officers of the court “should not forget to set example to others and live up to the nobility of the profession whether in and out of the court.”
“The Supreme Court has always reminded lawyers to act in accordance with our oath. In fact, it will never hesitate to sanction erring lawyers… As IBP governor, I urge lawyers to take care not only of their names but also of the profession and the institution that we work for and serve not only when we are working but also in our private dealings,” she said in a text message to Sun.Star Cebu.
For his part, IBP Cebu Province chapter president Gonzalo Malig-on hopes the alleged incident will not happen again.
“Since charges are already filed, let the law take its own course. Regardless of how we perceive the turn of events, every individual deserves to be heard,” he said.
The PRO 7 had filed complaints of direct assault and malicious mischief, grave oral defamation, grave coercion, and resistance and disobedience to a person in authority against Castro and her six companions, for allegedly conspiring to destroy public property and attacking police officers last Monday night.
State Prosecutor Simaco Labata, however, only found enough evidence to charge Castro and her companions with direct assault and malicious mischief.
The PRO 7 is planning to file a motion asking Labata to overturn his decision and file administrative complaint against Castro.
Castro and her companions had already posted bail. Castro accused police officers from the Regional Special Operations Group, a unit under RID, of trying to hide Maricel Raffinan Gregory last Monday night.
Supt. Rex Derilo, RID acting chief, earlier said Gregory surrendered to them, after learning a Talisay City court had issued an arrest warrant for libel cases filed against her by Castro over her Facebook posts accusing the prosecutor of stealing the vehicle of Castro’s estranged husband, Leodegreco Sanchez.
Gregory has two children with Sanchez and is pregnant with their third child.