THE Department of Justice (DOJ) believed that the recent bullet planting case involving a United States-bound septuagenarian couple was a ploy to divert the public's attention from the election-related issues.
"We know that there are elections coming up, and among the activities are some activities that tend to veer away from the elections itself...Some of them are for mischief or for unlawful purposes," DOJ Acting Secretary Emmanuel Caparas said.
The Cabinet official said the airport security officers has stepped up considerably since the unfortunate "laglag bala" incidents last year.
"Let us not blame, suspect people of wrong doings if we don't have firm information about that. It is not fair to authorities, marami nang nagawang trabaho ang airport authorities, police authorities dyan," Caparas said.
"May lumalabas na issue may harrasment, syndicate, extortion, wag na po sana natin palakihin to, this seems to be another unfortunate event na gnagamit lang for media purposes. Hopefully this will stop," he added.
Caparas advised the public to remain vigilant and to remind their relatives not to bring prohibited items inside the airports.
The preliminary hearing on the case of illegal possession of ammunition filed against Esteban Cortabista, 78, and his wife Salvacion, 75, is set on May 3.
The couple was barred from boarding Korean Airlines flight KE 622 bound for Los Angeles via Seoul last April 19 after airport personnel found a live .38-caliber bullet in one of their hand-carry bags. (Sunnex)