AROUND 70 families living in Barangay San Roque, Talisay City have been forced out of their homes since Monday following the implementation of a demolition order.
But the demolition in Sitio San Rafael was not without any untoward incident. A 22-year-old woman died.
Jocelyn Deo, who was eight months pregnant, reportedly suffered a heart attack around 9 a.m. last Monday when she thought that members of the demolition team were going to demolish her house.
Deo was rushed to the Talisay City District Hospital, but she was declared dead on arrival. The child she was carrying also died.
Michael Galicia, sheriff of the Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) in Talisay City, told reporters yesterday that he implemented the demolition order on Lot No. 3, a 12,000-square-meter property being claimed by Classique Properties and Development Corp.
Galicia was accompanied by police personnel and members of the demolition team when he went to the area last Monday.
He admitted that tension was high in the area, but this was quickly diffused by police presence.
Last March, MTCC Judge Mario Manayon issued a writ of demolition based on his decision on a civil case filed by CPDC against residents in the area three years ago.
Manayon issued a writ of execution on the case in September 2014.
Galicia said affected residents and CPDC officials met with Talisay City Mayor Johnny de los Reyes last month for a pre-demolition conference.
During the conference, 30 families accepted CPDC’s financial assistance. They also agreed to voluntarily demolish their houses.
But not everyone kept their promise, said Oliver Dicdican, CPDC representative.
He asked other affected families to accept the court’s decision.