Monday July 23, 2018

Fire hits chapel in San Fernando, Cebu

CEBU CITY (Updated with correction) -- A fire hit a chapel, including eight houses, in Barangay Pitalo, San Fernando on Tuesday afternoon after a devotee lighted candles worth P5,000.

Carie Manlosa, president of San Vincente Ferrer Chapel, said a devotee, who has survived cancer, lighted the candles to say a prayer.

“Naay nipalit kwarenta’y noybi kaputos. Gibadlong nana siya nga dili ipadungan og dagkot, gipatingob man gyud kuno. (Someone bought 49 packs of candles. He was warned not to light everything, but he refused and lighted the candles)," Manlosa said.

Kelvin Alfeche, 71, former president of the chapel said: “Ang giingon diri sa caretaker nga dunay nagdagkot og worth P5,000, gidungan og silab (The caretaker said someone lighted P5,000 worth of candles)."

Fire Inspector Cecille Alicaya of San Fernando fire department said they received the alarm around 5:10 p.m.

Fire trucks from Minglanilla, Naga City, and Talisay City responded to the site.

Snack vendor Rosana Alimpolos said, “Ang sinugdanan sa sunog naggikan sa ilang simbahan. Nagsunod mi sa balay sa akong igsoon nga nahurot og kaug-daw unya amoa naka-attach ra man sa ilang balay. (The fire started from the chapel. My sibling's house was burned. Our house that was attached to it was also damaged).”

Alimpolos also said that fire trucks arrived late.

Alicaya said the fire, which was controlled around 6:20 p.m., is still under investigation. No injuries were reported, as of this posting (Sunnex/With reports from Vaña Ferre Comendador Abella/USJ-R Intern)


Correction: The candles that were lit were worth P5,000 not 5,000 pieces as reported earlier. We apologize for the error.