200 families in Brgy. Calamba ordered to vacate

AROUND 200 families in Sitio Almacen, Barangay Calamba, Cebu City will soon be left without a roof over their heads.

The court ordered the eviction of 67 members of the Calmacen III Homeowners’ Association by June 7, 8, 9 and 10, but it will also affect their extended families.

The lots on which they are living are owned by private individuals who filed an ejectment case against the families before the Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC).

Yesterday, members of Calmacen along with the Homeless Individuals of Sitio Almacen Association (HOISA) went to Acting Mayor Margarita Osmeña to ask for the City Government’s help. HOISA is composed of the extended families who will be affected by the demolition.

HOISA secretary Maura Enriquez, 59, said they want the City to help them seek a six-month extension on the implementation of the demolition order.

This, so a relocation site will be given to them.

Kung dili ma-swertahan ang mga tawo diha intawon, pwede financial assistance para in kaso ma-demolish duna miy magamit na cash para sa abang ug balay (Just in case the people don’t get lucky, at least give us some financial assistance for house rent just in case we’d be demolished). We are willing to move out,” she said.

Teresita Calago, 49, said though they have already identified a lot in Barangay Basak Pardo as a possible area where they can be relocated.

The purchase of the lot, she said, will cost around P7 million. They wanted the City to come in so the property will hopefully be acquired.

It was in August 2013 when the MTCC Branch 5 ruled in favor of Geroncio Lopez and Cenon Lopez on the ejectment case they filed against the families.

The families appealed the decision, but the Regional Trial Court Branch 4 denied it in February last year.

In July 2015, the decision of the MTCC had become final and executory and a writ of execution was issued by November 2015. A subsequent writ of demolition was issued by MTCC in April 21 this year.

Sought for comment about this, Osmeña said she will see what the City can do. She said she can probably write a letter to the court asking for a possible extension.

“In the meantime, it gives DWUP (Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor) time to possibly look for a relocation site. No cash assistance. More of relocation,” she said.

Last week, Osmeña issued a memorandum imposing a moratorium on demolitions in the city but it did not cover court-ordered evictions.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph