CEBU CITY -- A house and a minimart in the village of Pit-os in this city were razed Sunday by a fire that allegedly started from a discarded cigarette butt.

SFO2 Edgardo Gabato, of Talamban Fire Station, said they received the alarm at 5:40 a.m. Fire marshals declared fire out at 6:17 a.m.

The blaze burned the JJB minimart owned by Francisca Meñoza.

Based on initial investigation, the fire started at the house of Ignacia Garcia, 80, and spread out to the neighboring store.

Owen Garcia, son of Ignacia, said the fire was caused by a cigarette butt that was thrown near their house.

"Upos na sigarilyo maoy hinungdan guro kay wala man me kuryente (I think the fire started from a cigarette butt because we do not have electricity)," Owen said.

He added that the cigarette might have lit the dry leaves of a Kaymito tree surrounding their house, which was made of light materials.

Gabato pegged the fire damages at P60,000. Investigation is underway. (Pia Noreen Bilar, CNU CommArts intern/Sunnex)