Lapasan fire victims getting ill

DUE to the abrupt changes in the weather condition, some victims of the May 20 blaze in Barangay Lapasan who are seeking refuge in some schools in Cagayan de Oro are now falling ill.

Children and elderly have started complaining mostly of cough, colds, and headache due to the sudden hot and cold weather brought by rains.

Melou Jean Lopera, an evacuee, said her four children and the other kids in the room already suffer from cough and cold for two weeks now.

Lopera said her family is sharing a room with the other five families.

Also pregnant, Lopera said she is also worried with the health of her unborn baby.

The evacuees are staying in Lapasan National High School while others are temporarily housed at the East City Central School in Lapasan.

Aside from the problem of sanitation, the evacuees are also worried about where to stay before June 13, as classes officially start.

"Niingon na gani to ang isa ka teacher nga kanus-a pa daw kuno mi makahawa kay para ma-ready na niya iyang classroom," Lopera said.

But City Social Welfare and Development chief Teddy Sabuga-a said officials from the City Health Office are visiting the school regularly to attend to the needs, such as medicines, for the victims.

Sabuga-a said what the City Government prioritizes is to secure the land where the victims will build their homes soon.

"Ang gi-una nato og asikaso, is ang hisgutanan sa yuta, ang pag-secure niini, kay it turned out sa atong pag-assess, naa diay isa ka tag-iya ani, unya naa na sa Canada so ato pa nga gikontak. Hopefully next week we would be able to reach the family," he added.

There are only two options to secure the land, first is ask consent from the owner for on-site development or second, find another site for relocation.

However, Sabuga-a said had the City Council approved the budget for 2016, the victims would immediately be housed in the relocation sites.

"Kung na-approve lang gyud ang budget sa 2016, naa kita'y shelter plan nga around P300M, dugay ra unta nakapalit ug yuta ug nakahimo ug mga balay para ready ta ingani na mga situation," he said.

"Pero kung dili pa gyud ta maka-secure ug consent, didto gyud sila maka-stay sa roofdeck sa new buildings nga naa sa school," he said.

The May fire was said to have started after a child played with a lighted candle and easily spread since the houses in the area were made of light materials.

It registered P5 million worth of damage and left more than one hundred households homeless.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!