Cops securing NegOr capitol as Degamo supporters camp out

THE police are securing the premises of Negros Oriental Provincial Capitol in Dumaguete City as hundreds of supporters of dismissed Governor Roel Degamo had been camping out in the vicinity for days now.

Senior Superintendent Harris Fama, acting director of Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office, said on Monday that Degamo had “opted to stay in his office” since Friday when the dismissal order was served by Director Margie Biligan of the Department of the Interior and Local Government-Negros Island Region.

Degamo was ordered dismissed by the Office of the Ombudsman for grave misconduct over the anomalous use of calamity funds.

Reelected Vice Governor Edward Mark Macias took his oath as governor even as Degamo refused to receive the order from Biligan.

Biligan instead posted the order on the walls of the Provincial Capitol.
During the service of order, Degamo’s supporters formed a barricade at the Capitol building.

After Macias’ assumption of office, Degamo had not left the Capitol building, along with his supporters.

Fama said that personnel of provincial police, along with the Special Weapons and Tactics unit, are securing the premises.

If there is an “activity,” they “double” their security, he added.

Fama said that police personnel were also assigned to secure Macias, who is holding office at Sidlakang Negros, which is near the Capitol.

Macias will serve as governor until June 30. He will then take his oath as vice governor after he won a fresh mandate in the May 9 elections.

Macias will take his oath as governor again, if the gubernatorial post is still vacant by that time.

‘No two governors’

Macias, in a press statement, downplayed the reports that there are two governors in Negros Oriental, as he stressed that the DILG had already implemented the order dismissing Degamo last Friday.

On Degamo still occupying the Capitol building, Macias said, “it’s normal for some people to continue to be in denial over the rapid turn of events.”

Macias, however, expressed hope that the situation would stabilize soon, as he expressed fears that the occupants of the Governor’s Office could be tampering with official documents.

Replacements

Meanwhile, Macias, who met with some department heads Monday, named the replacements for the co-terminus positions in the provincial government.

Provincial General Services Officer Berchmans Patrimonio was named concurrent officer-in-charge of the Office of the Provincial Administrator.

Macias also reinstated Provincial Warden Lito Bitoon, Provincial Human Resource Management Officer Daisy Vamenta, and Provincial Social Welfare Officer Alicia Lagarde to their posts.

Assistant Provincial Accountant Dahlia Cual was directed to take over the post of dismissed Accountant Teodorico Reyes.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">



style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="4158864647">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph