REIGNING Men's Open champion Leylam FC may beef up their roster after surprise news of the return of the Aboitiz Football Cup this year.
"Maybe we will have new players. It still depends. I haven't talked to sir (Ugur Tasci) about it because we haven't received an invitation," Leylam FC head coach Oliver Colina told Sun.Star Cebu.
Colina just learned yesterday that there will be an Aboitiz Football Cup this year because they haven't received an invitation. However, they won't pass the opportunity to once again prove that they are the best Men's Open club here in Cebu.
"Yes we will surely join. There is no other (11-a-side) tournament here," he said.
Leylam FC took home the Men's Open crown last year despite being underdogs against talent-laden Erco BRO GAU in the Men's Open division.
Ismael Abdul Malik, the division's MVP, hit the lone goal for a 1-0 win by Leylam FC.
In that finals match, Erco BRO GAU was reinforced by former Azkals stars Chieffy Caligdong and Ian Araneta, and UFL players Ronnie Aguisanda, Reynald Villareal, Mark Ferrer and Allan Auman.
"I think we will get new players to add to the team in exchange for the players that left," said Colina.
Leylam FC will miss the services of Malik and Prince Arigbe, who were both instrumental to their title run.
"They are now abroad for work," said Colina.
Leylam FC kept themselves busy with 11-a-side tune-up games with University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos in Bacolod City.
The 18th Aboitiz Football Cup, the biggest football tournament in Cebu, has 15 other categories - Players 7, Players 9, Under-11, Inter-BPO, Inter-Company, Boys Under-13, Girls Under-13, Boys Under-15, Girls Under-15, Boys Under-18, Girls Under-18, Boys Under-21, Women's Open, 38-and-Above and 45 Executive.
The tournament formally opens on Aug. 28 at the Cebu City Sports Center.