SECTIONS
philippines
Saturday, July 31, 2021

COA hits City for project delays

THE Commission on Audit (COA) called the attention of the Cebu City Government over the implementation of around P74 million worth of projects.

State auditors lamented the delays in the issuance of the projects’ notice to proceed (NTP), a document stating the date on which the contractor can begin working.

COA, in an audit observation memorandum (AOM) dated June 20, said it runs counter to the provisions of the revised implementing rules and regulations of Republic Act (RA) 9184, otherwise known as the Government Procurement Reform Act.

In a verification of 15 sample completed projects of the City for last year, State Auditor IV and Audit Team Leader Maria Daisy Bercede and Supervising Auditor Cymbeline Celia Chiong-Uy found out that eight projects incurred delays in the issuance of the NTP.

It had only been issued four to ten days from the approval of the contract for the project, instead of the required three calendar days.

Winning bidder

Also, they said the winning bidder only received the NTP 13 to 69 days from the date of its issuance.

“These deficiencies are not in conformity with the provisions of the procurement law,” Bercede and Uy said in the three-page AOM.

Among the projects that had delays in the issuance of a NTP are the P18-million construction of a riprap and seawall at the South Road Properties, particularly at the coastal area of Barangay Cogon Pardo.

Its NTP was issued 28 days after the contract and it was only received by the contractor 69 days after.

Also included are the P11.3-million construction of three-storey building for the disaster risk reduction center of Barangay Tinago, P32.5-million road concreting with drainage system in Barangays Tagbao and Taptap, P5.9-million construction of drainage system in Barangay Sudlon II, P4.1-million construction of a sports complex in Barangay Bulacao, P3.6-million road concreting with drainage system in Barangay Toong, P3.6-million road concreting and drainage in Sudlon II and P619,868 construction of a multi-purpose hall in Barangay Adlaon.

Sought for comment, Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) officer-in-charge Engr. Josefa Ylanan said she can’t comment on the matter yet as she is still looking into it.

“But the issuance of the NTP man gud is being done by the Office of the Mayor. The NTP will only be sent to us after na,” she said.

COA is asking the City to just “strictly comply” with the provisions of the procurement law.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph