SECTIONS
Thursday, March 21, 2019

Sayson seeks vote recount

BACOLOD City's defeated congressional candidate Jude Thaddeus Sayson on Thursday filed a petition before the House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal seeking a manual recount of the votes cast for congressman during the May 9 elections.

He was joined by his wife Cecile, partymate former councilor Homer Bais, and lawyer Eduardo Padios.

"I just want to know the real score and the truth why a sum of 27,000 plus votes were not appreciated in the congressional post. I will accept whatever will be the outcome of this petition," he said.

Sayson lost to Grupo Progreso's Greg Gasataya by 1,030 votes. He got 84,431 votes while Gasataya garnered 85,467 votes.

He said he wants a manual recount considering that there is a big percentage of votes not appreciated by the vote counting machines (VCMs).

Sayson said around 27,000 did not vote for congressman which he believes was nearly impossible as there were five of them running for the said post.

He reiterated that what happened is "mind-boggling" since it shows that 27,000 voters did not like any of the five candidates.

"I believe that it is a very huge number considering that the difference is only 1,030 votes," he said.

Sayson had earlier said: "My point is we want a conclusion on the issue about the 27,000 voters who did not vote for congressman. The only thing that we could do to put the issue to rest is to seek a manual count. If we will not do this, this will be repeated in the next election.

"This is also a chance for the Commission on Elections to prove that the VCMs are full proof," he added.

For his part, Gasataya said in a text message that he "respects the process being afforded by the law" regarding the protest filed by Sayson.

"The burden to prove the allegations is with the petitioner. As your duly elected representative, I will perform the functions mandated of me to do," he added.

Sayson's partymates in Pamilya Magbinuligay Kita Para sa Kauswagan, former mayor Monico Puentevella and businessman Vladimir Gonzalez, who ran for mayor and vice mayor, respectively had earlier filed an electoral protest Friday before the Commission on Elections Central Office in Manila with a petition for manual recount.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!