CEBU’s top bowlers Xyrra Cabusas and GJ Buyco will travel to the US this Friday for the 14th World Youth Bowling Championships set on July 24 to Aug. 3 at the Sun Valley Lanes in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Cabusas and Buyco, both engineering students of University of San Carlos (USC), will be going with fellow national team members Gospel Gahol, Ivan Malig, Louis Cantorna, Bea Hernandez, Rica Macatula and Rjoy Santos.
This will be the second stint of the 21-year-old Cabusas in the World Youth Bowling Championships, and she like her chances this time compared to the 2014 edition in Hong Kong.
“I like my preparation this time around and I’m more comfortable with my shots and all,” said Cabusas, who targets an average of 210.
Cabusas and Buyco, who are both ace players of Team Prima, trained together for the past six months . Buyco, 18, is a first-timer of the event and is really excited to play. The two said that they are both ready for the World Youth Championships.
Cabusas said that she has learned her mistakes in 2014 and will no longer commit that this year. It was the nerves and fear that hold her back in Hongkong.
“The fear and the nerves was my mistake before, I’ll make sure it won’t happen again on my second stint,” she said.
The eight-man national youth squad will be traveling a total of 19 hours before reaching Nebraska. The Cebuano bets will travel from Cebu to Manila, then Manila to Japan, Japan to Chicago and Chicago to Nebraska.
Buyco and Cabusas are the only Cebuanos on the national youth delegation. They qualified for the World Youth Championships after topping the boys’ and girls’ divisions of the Philippine Bowling Congress (PBC) Youth Eliminations in Manila in Novermber last year.