THE head of the local police in Carcar City disclosed that he and his personnel received death threats due to their continuous operations against illegal drugs.
Supt. Alvin Balio, Carcar City Police chief, told Sun.Star Cebu that one of his operatives received a text message, stating that a P100,000 bounty has been placed on his head and P50,000 for any police officer assigned at the city’s intelligence unit.
The text message reportedly came more than two weeks since the local police in Carcar City conducted continuous operations against suspected illegal drug personalities.
Balio said they have no idea who sent the threatening message, but he has tasked his investigators to trace its source.
Since July 1, around 903 suspected drug personalities have surrendered to the police, while 10 out of 15 barangays in Carcar City have been closely monitored for illegal drug activities.
Of the 903 suspected drug personalities who surrendered to the police, two are barangay officials.
Last month, Dionesio “Jojo” Racho, a suspected drug lord, was killed in a raid conducted by the Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB) in Sitio San Isidro, Barangay Perrelos.
Balio said it was usual for suspected drug personalities to issue death threats against the local police considering that the illegal drug trade has been slowly reduced in Carcar City since before the start of the Duterte administration.
u201cNatural gyud na sila maglagot kay nipiyait naman na sila tungod kay nihinay ang ilang negosyo (It’s natural that they will be angry, they’re complaining since business is down),” Balio said.
He assured that despite the threats, they will continue to operate against peddlers of illegal drugs in Carcar.
In an earlier interview, Carcar City Mayor Nicepuro Apura warned drug personalities in his city to either surrender or face the full brunt of the law.
Apura said he is willing to support the local police in any activities that they plan to do that concerns the elimination of illegal drugs in Carcar City.