SECTIONS
philippines
Sunday, October 24, 2021

Demolition proceeds without a hitch

SEVENTY-THREE structures near the Mahiga Creek were demolished in Sitios Sapa-Sapa Uno and Sapa-Sapa Dos in Barangay Subangdaku, Mandaue City.

City Legal Assistant Lawyer James Allan Sayson said the affected families had long received their notices to vacate that was why the demolition team didn’t encounter any resistance.

“We sent notices before the elections and another notice on June 21. They were aware long before that they would be demolished,” Sayson said.

Coordination

The City also held a pre-demolition conference last July 20.

Sayson said that after the conference, some of the families started to voluntarily tear down their houses.

City coordinated with the Mandaue City Police Office and Special Weapons and Tactics to assist the demolition team yesterday.

The families in the two sitios were living within the danger zone so they had to be relocated to the 6.5-hectare relocation site in Barangay Paknaan.

“What we’re trying to do is to protect families, especially during a flood,” Sayson said in Cebuano.

The City helped families transport their housing materials to Paknaan so they could rebuild in the lot allotted to them.

For those who did not avail themselves of the relocation site, Sayson said the City offered each household P17,000 as financial assistance.

Help sought

Alma Marabiles, 49, asked the City to help her family transport their housing materials to Liloan where they found a lot to rent and build a house in.

Marabiles, who has seven children, had opted for the cash from the City.

She had lived in Sitio Sapa-Sapa Uno since 1992. Her husband is a jeepney barker.

“I am worried because we haven’t received the financial assistance yet even though we’ve already been told to vacate,” Marabiles said in Cebuano.

She said her family will temporarily stay in the demolition site until they can move to Liloan.

Like Marabiles, Julieta Roca, 39, said she will have to build a shanty in Sitio Sapa-Sapa Uno while they wait for the City’s financial assistance.

Roca had been living in the sitio since 1989.

“That’s why we’re still here because we haven’t received the cash assistance. We found a place to rent but we have no money to pay it,” Roca said in Cebuano.

style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph