TWO men were shot dead in separate incidents in Davao City on Wednesday afternoon, July 27.

The first incident happened at around 1:50 p.m. on Carlos P. Garcia Highway in Buhangin, Davao City.

The victim was identified as Clyde Ugahayon Duarte, 27, a seafarer, from San Antonio, Buhangin.

Initial investigation conducted by Buhangin police showed that the victim, on board his black Honda XRM motorcycle, was heading north when he noticed two men on board two separate motorcycles were following him.

Both men were wearing crash helmet and bull cap, and is still unidentified.

When Duarte arrived near a pawnshop at NHA Buhangin, he entered a nearby cafe thinking he was safe inside. But the suspects followed him and shot him several times.

Duarte succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds in his head and different parts of his body, while the suspects headed towards San Nicholas in Barangay Buhangin.

His body was brought to Angel Funeral Homes.

The owner of the cafe identified as Josephine Sudio Perez, 42, also sustained a gunshot wound in her right foot, when she was hit by a stray bullet during the incident.

Scene of the Crime Operatives (Soco) headed by Senior Inspector Laureano Pajente recovered two empty shell from a caliber.45 pistol.

The second incident happened at around 2 p.m. at Purok 2 in Barangay Inayangayan in Calinan District.

The victim was identified as Timoteo Ondoy Cumighod, 55, from the same place.

Police identified the suspect as Manuel Caballeda Cumighod, 23, relative of the victim, a laborer, also a resident of the same place.

Initial investigation conducted by the Calinan police showed that the victim and the suspect rested and had a drink of coconut wine after harvesting coconuts at a farm owned by Erning Bautista.

After Manuel consumed his wine, he went to take a bath at a nearby creek then minutes later he returned to the resting area and without any words shot Timoteo.

Police said Timoteo succumbed to a lone gunshot wound at the left portion of his chest.

His body was brought to Angel Funeral Homes for autopsy.

The suspect then went to the house of barangay captain Lilia Ruta to surrender while carrying the weapon used in the incident.

Manuel is now detained at the Calinan Police Station.

Police recovered from his possession two improvised handguns, otherwise known as sumpak, four live ammunition of shotgun, and five live ammunition of caliber.38 revolver. (Mielin April R. Salvacion, MSU Intern)