SECTIONS
Thursday, January 24, 2019

ABC backs CCPO drive v. drugs

AFTER pledging support before the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 on the anti-narcotics campaign last month, the Association of Barangay Councils (ABC) Cebu City Chapter will also sign a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) on Aug. 31 to strengthen the drive against drugs.

ABC President and Tisa Barangay Captain Philip Zafra along with eight other members met last Friday with Senior Supt. Joel Doria, CCPO director, and the 11 station commanders in the city, to discuss their collective plans in strengthening the enforcement of the anti-illegal drug campaign.

“We’ve agreed to build a clear organization in each station. Although the particular precincts of respective barangay jurisdictions is already existing, but this time, the village chiefs will take active role through a monthly meeting with the station commanders and Doria,” he said.

Aside from being the first barangay councils’ association that supports the campaign, Zafra said the decision to seal an agreement with the CCPO “is upon the prodding also of former mayor Michael Rama.”

Rama was one of the politicians named by President Rodrigo Duterte as one of the “drug protector” politicians in
the country.

A known Team Rama ally, Zafra said that despite the pronouncement of the president the group will not falter in doing its part in the anti-drug campaign.

“We, the chiefs (especially here in Cebu City), are happy with the stand of the Philippine National Police in strictly enforcing the campaign. Despite the circumstance, we will continue to implement the nation’s peace and order in our barangays,” he said.

He urged the people to report to the barangay officials any suspected dubious transactions in the neighborhood. Be it circumstantial, hearsay or raw information, Zafra said they will report it to the concerned law enforcers for validation.

“Although I think this as a different, unorthodox way, I see a positive effect, especially with Operation Tokhang. We know the limitations of the barangay that’s why there should be cooperation and coordination with the police,” he said.

He said that their previous efforts of tapping the police ended in vain, making them a bit apprehensive, however, with the parameters set by Duterte in the campaign against illegal drugs, they’ve had a change of heart.

“We just want to make sure that we approach the right person, but whatever happens, we will continue supporting the campaign,” Zafra said.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!