PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has no plan yet to move for the release of the remaining detained communist rebels.
The Chief Executive told reporters early Sunday morning in Davao City that the release of about 20 high-ranking leaders of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) from detention was enough so far.
"No, I will not release," he said when asked when the public could expect the release of other political prisoners after temporarily freeing CPP leaders Benito and Wilma Tiamzon on Friday.
Duterte cautioned that if the government would release the other detained rebels, the CPP-NPA-NDF might no longer pursue with the peace talks.
"Tama na muna 'yan. I released 20. Now, if you think that I will release all prisoners, NPAs already in custody, di 'wag na lang tayong mag-usap kase release naman sila. Ano pa ang baraha ko? Wala na," he said.
The released rebel detainees have flown to Oslo, Norway for the resumption of the formal peace talks with the Philippine government beginning August 22.
The President has declared an indefinite unilateral ceasefire with the NPA, the armed wing of the CPP-NDF, while the rebel group declared its own 7-day truce until the initial negotiation is finished.
The Maoist group has been asking the government for the release of about 550 detained rebels. (SDR/Sunnex)