DILG set to file charges vs ‘narco-generals’

ALLEGED drug coddlers, former National Capital Region Police Office chief Joel Pagdilao and former Quezon City Police District director Chief Superintendent Edgardo Tinio, will be facing criminal charges, Local Government Secretary Ismael Sueno said on Monday.

"For the two, Pagdilao and Tinio, we are ready with the prima facie case against them, which I will sign when I get back to my office," Sueno said in a press conference held in Malacañang.

"We will come out with the cases to be filed against them in due time. So maybe we can wait until tomorrow [about the specific complaints that will be filed against the two]," he added.

Pagdilao and Tinio were among the alleged narco-generals named by President Rodrigo Duterte on July 8.

Apart from the two, Duterte had tagged Western Visayas police regional director Chief Superintendent Bernardo Diaz, then police general and now Daanbatayan, Cebu Mayor Vicente Loot, and retired Philippine National Police Deputy Chief for Administration General Marcelo Garbo as allegedly having links to illegal drug sale.

Sueno said it was easier for the DILG to file cases against Tinio and Pagdilao because they had been assigned in Manila.

As per the complaint to be filed against Diaz, Sueño said the evidence against the former is yet to be finalized since his assignment was in Western Visayas.

"So it takes some time for us to really gather evidences against General Diaz but we are sure we have the goods against him. We have evidences against him," he said.

On the other hand, Sueno said the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group will be the one to file cases against Garbo since the latter is "not in active duty right now [and] neither an elected official."

Sueno said that since the DILG cannot come up with evidences administratively against Loot as mayor, it is now conducting a lifestyle check on him.

"Since he is a new mayor, we cannot come up with evidences administratively against him as mayor… But what we are doing is we are conducting lifestyle check on him to find out that his assets are not proportionate to his income. So that is our strategy," Sueno said.

"[Also], we already lifted [Loot’s] supervision over the police and we have also cancelled his licenses to permit to own guns and bodyguards. We also cancelled all those," he added. (Sunnex)
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph