A WOMAN was found dead in a sugarcane field at Hacienda Nabitasan, Purok Pinetree, Barangay Malubon in Sagay City, Negros Occidental on Tuesday.

Police identified the fatality as Ma. Lucy Gallego, 52.

Chief Inspector Eduardo Corpuz, head of Sagay City Police Station, said the victim was last seen in the house of her daughter at 2 p.m. on September 12.

Gallego failed to go home and her body was found by his son-in-law about a kilometer away from her residence on Tuesday noon.

Initial investigation showed the victim had scratches on her face and hands, and was no longer wearing her lower garment.

The victim possibly died of strangulation, Corpuz said.

He added that Gallego’s body was subjected to an autopsy to determine if she was sexually molested.

Corpuz said a sugarcane worker who came from a drinking session with his companions also passed by the victim’s route at 2 p.m. on the day she visited her daughter.

The police has already identified a person of interest.

Sisters found dead

In Talisay City, Negros Occidental, two women were found dead inside their residence at Barangay Zone 7 on Wednesday.

Police identified the fatalities as Celestina Fernandez, 88, and her sister Isabel Laudio, 86, a retired nurse who had worked in the United States.

Senior Inspector Hector Balbon, deputy chief of Talisay City Police Station, said their bodies were discovered by their helper after she asked for an assistance from a councilman at 6:30 a.m.

Balbon said Laudio was found at the garage while Fernandez was in one of the rooms.

Laudio succumbed to a head injury while Fernandez died of suffocation, Balbon added. Both bodies were subjected for an autopsy.

Balbon said the room where Fernandez was found was messy but the family has yet to determine if there were missing valuables because there was no forced entry based on initial investigation.

Police have yet to determine if there was a robbery. Recovered were a bladed weapon and tools.

Balbon said they are eyeing three men who are probably responsible for the crime.

Police called the helper and the driver of the sisters for questioning, but the driver failed to surface as of 8 p.m. yesterday.