Monday, February 18, 2019

Free mentorship for small businesses

THE Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Cebu is offering a 12-week mentorship program to micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in an effort to support local entrepreneurs.

In an announcement yesterday, DTI Cebu Director Maria Elena Arbon said the Kapatid Mentor Me Program is in partnership with Go Negosyo.

An orientation for interested MSMEs is scheduled on Sept. 30.

Arbon said the Kapatid Mentor Me Program is aimed at assisting MSMEs scale up their business through “weekly coaching, conceptual discussions and mentoring sessions by Go Negosyo’s angelpreneurs, experienced entrepreneurs, and seasoned business lecturers on the different functional areas of entrepreneurship.”

Those qualified for the mentorship program should be a Cebu-based entrepeneur with a business legally operating for at least one year.

The participants will enter into a contract of commitment with the trade agency as they will have to attend 12 weekly sessions on specified schedules.

DTI said participation is free, although seats are limited on a first come first served basis.

Data from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) shows that there are 946,988 establishments in the Philippines as of 2014. Of these, 99.6 percent MSMEs and the remaining 0.4 percent are large enterprises.

Of the total number of MSMEs, 90.3 percent (851,756) are micro enterprises, 9.3 percent (87,283) are small enterprises, and 0.4 percent (3,886) are medium enterprises.

More than half of the country’s MSMEs are involved in wholesale and retail trade.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!