MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III has already chosen someone to head the newly-formed Information and Communications Technology Office (ICTO).
Louis Napoleon Casambre, one of the board members of the state-run Philippine Council for Industry Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (PCIEERD), said he received a confirmation of his appointment Tuesday afternoon.
"It was signed by the President last August 15 and the office of Executive Secretary (Paquito) Ochoa transmitted it (to the Department of Science and Technology Central Office on Tuesday),” he told Sun.Star in a text message.
ICTO is currently headed by Undersecretary Fortunato dela Peña.
Earlier in the day, Science and Technology Secretary Mario Montejo confirmed to Sun.Star that Casambre was his lone nominee to the post of Executive Director, which holds the rank of an Undersecretary.
Ochoa, on the other hand, declined to confirm Malacañang choice hours before Casambre made the declaration.
"Not privy," he told Sun.Star in a separate text message.
President Aquino abolished the seven-year-old Commission on Information Communications Technology (CICT) through Executive Order 47 last June 23 to give way for the DOST-attached ICTO.
"The transfer and reorientation of the functions of CICT...will strengthen the alignment of ICT development with the thrust of the department to provide continuing innovation as the core of the sustained global competitiveness of our country’s ICT industry,” the President said in the EO. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)