NPA releases 2 militiamen in Surigao

MANILA -- Two militiamen abducted by the New People's Army (NPA) rebels in Bislig City last month have been freed unharmed on Thursday.

Major Leo Bongosia, spokesman of the Army's 4th Infantry Division, identified the two victims as Ronaldo Isaga and Noel Martinez, both members of the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (Cafgu) in Surigao del Sur.

The victims were released Thursday at Sitio Mantuyom, San Roque village, in Bislig City and were brought to the headquarters of the 75th Infantry Battalion on same day.

Bongosia said the militiamen were "safe and unharmed."

"As of this report, said Cafgus are undergoing debriefing and medical examination," the official said Friday.

The two were abducted by a group of insurgents last April 26 at the vicinity of Sitio Mabog, also in San Roque village while attending to a "personal business."

Bongosia said the military suspended combat operations in Bislig City and Rosario town in Agusan del Sur since last Sunday, which pave the way for the release of the two victims. (VR/Sunnex)

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph