DCPO condemns 2 cops’ brutal death

(Contributed photo)
(Contributed photo)

THE Davao City Police Office (DCPO) strongly condemns the brutal killing of two police officers on Wednesday, July 26, at Purok 4, Barangay Lacson, Calinan District, around 4 p.m.

DCPO Director PCol. Alberto Lupaz emotionally delivered the official statement of the office.

"DCPO strongly condemns, in the strongest terms, these heinous acts that violently took the lives of not one but two of our dedicated personnel, leaving two others injured who heroically responded to the call," Lupaz said.

The two police officers killed were PCpl. Mark Anthony Elman Corsino and PCMS Tito Didal Lague.

The incident occurred when complainant Jericha Gubat Isod reported a commotion near her home involving an alleged group of lumad. PCpl. Corsino responded immediately, accompanied by driver Donald Ombrete and police auxiliary Richard Mendoza.

Corsino approached Angelito Maanib Landas, father of Benao Maanib Landas, to inquire about the situation. The father stated that he tried to convince his son to drop his bolo (machete), but instead, the son attacked Corsino with it.

Corsino warned the suspect to stay back, but the suspect continued the attack, forcing Corsino to defend himself. Corsino shot the suspect multiple times, but the suspect kept advancing until he fatally struck Corsino with the bolo on his right cheek.

After attacking Corsino, the suspect Landas assaulted the driver, Ombrete, hitting him on the head. The suspect also chased after Mendoza, who managed to escape. Mendoza later encountered another suspect, Rico Masacay, a former Cafgu, who took Corsino's issued firearm.

However, before the encounter, PCpl. Corsino already called for backup — eventually, Lague, PCpl. Ken Leo Diango Gumanoy, and John Leo Urquiza, the mobile driver, arrived at the scene. They witnessed the two suspects, Landas and Masacay, standing beside mobile unit 51. Landas was armed with a short firearm and a bolo, while Masacay held a long firearm and a bolo. As soon as the suspects noticed the arrival of PCMS Lague and the others, they opened fire.

Lague engaged with Landas in a shootout, resulting in Landas being killed. But Lague also sustained fatal injuries as Masacay attacked Lague from behind with a bolo, causing the latter's death. Masacay fled the scene with his firearm and bolo.

The DCPO, Special Weapon and Tactics (Swat), Philippine Army (INF), Task Force Davao (TF-Davao), and the first and second City Mobile Force Company (CMFC) conducted a hot pursuit operation, leading to the arrest of Masacay.

PCMS Lague was rushed to the Isaac T. Robillo Memorial Hospital but was declared dead on arrival (DOA).

Meanwhile, Donald Ombrete was taken to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) for immediate medical attention. The deceased bodies of the suspect, Benao Maanib Landas, and Corsino were brought to Angel Funeral Homes.

Masacay is now under the custody of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Management Unit (CIDMU)- DCPO detention facility and will face the charges against him.

The DCPO clarified that this incident was not a result of "pangayaw" (tribal conflict) but rather stemmed from family problems. The neutralized suspect, Benao Maanib Landas, was allegedly jealous of his sister-in-law Bai's position as a leader in their self-proclaimed church. (RGP)


No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.