Gov. Uy: DavOro ‘insurgency free’

DAVAO DE ORO PIO PHOTO
DAVAO DE ORO PIO PHOTO

OUTGOING Davao de Oro Governor Jayvee Tyron Uy said the province is also now declared "insurgency-free,” joining four other areas in Davao Region.

In a press conference on Wednesday, June 21, Uy said the Provincial Peace and Order Council passed a resolution on Monday, June 20 officially declaring an insurgency-free province.

“Just last week, I was notified by the Philippine Army that the last remaining members of the Guerrilla Front (GF) 2, the oldest New People's Army (NPA) guerrilla unit in Mindanao, had already left Davao de Oro,” Uy said, who is also the outgoing Regional Development Council chairperson.

He said they are happy that the remaining armed rebel units in the province had been dismantled.

Uy said 100 percent of the recorded 145 barangays in the region, which used to be occupied by the communist terrorist groups Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) in 2016, have been cleared of

affectation.

"Today, I am proud to share our victory. At last, we are now finally free," the governor said.

Uy said this was due to their efforts, and also due to the institutionalization of Executive Order (EO) No. 70 - creating the National Task Force to End the Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC), signed by Outgoing President Rodrigo Duterte in December 2018.

"We are happy with the development. Malaki talaga 'yung [NTF-]ELCAC (NTF-ELCAC is a huge help) since its inception in 2018," the incoming vice governor said.

He added tha conflict-affected barangays benefited the program of NTF-ELCAC as they are among its priorities for development.

Major Gen. Nolasco Mempin, commander of the Army's 10th Infantry Division, said that apart from Davao de Oro, Davao del Norte, Davao City, Davao del Sur, and Davao Occidental have already been declared insurgency free.

“Hopefully in Davao Oriental, we can achieve it, and we still have one week so that we can declare the entire Davao Region as insurgency-free,” Mempin said.

The official also attributed the EO 70, along with the military operations, which contributed to the dismantling of rebel groups in the area.

Mempin also said that the implementation of the "whole of nation approach", instead of using the traditional military approach, had been effective in addressing the decades-long of insurgency, particularly in the far flung areas.

He also said they are targeting that the entire region would be declared insurgency-free in the long run. RGL

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph