Comelec suspends canvassing of votes

MANILA. The Comelec en banc formally convenes in session Monday, May 9, 2022, as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC) for senators and partylists in relation to the 2022 national and local elections. (Comelec photo)
MANILA. The Comelec en banc formally convenes in session Monday, May 9, 2022, as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC) for senators and partylists in relation to the 2022 national and local elections. (Comelec photo)

THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) has ordered the suspension of the en banc session for the canvassing of votes due to late transmission of votes, Comelec chairman Saidamen Pangarungan said on Monday, May 9, 2022.

Commissioner Aimee Ferolino said the en banc will resume with the canvassing on Tuesday at 1 p.m.

“The en banc through the chair, declared the early suspension since hindi pa naman talaga magta-transmit ‘yung ating mga VCMs (vote counting machines) and the report from VCMs will still have to pass the NBOC (National Board of Canvassers) and the PBOC,” she said in a press conference.

“So remember na magco-close ang voting generally by 7 p.m. so after that tsaka palang magka-count, so there is no point waiting kasi wala pa naman talaga kaming marerecieve na results, that is why we will resume tomorrow pag meron nang mata-transmit to the NBOC,” she added.

The Comelec clarified that there is no postponement of canvassing but only a declaration of recess.

Meanwhile, Pangarungan said they are still hoping that there will be no declaration of failure of election in any areas in the country amid the recorded election-related incidents particularly in the Bangsamoro region.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has so far recorded 16 confirmed election-related incidents since January, the beginning of the election period.

Several explosion and strafing incidents have been recorded especially in Maguindanao since May 8.

These incidents have resulted in injury to at least nine people, while three others were killed.

Despite these incidents in Maguindanao and other areas in the Bangsamoro region, PNP director for operations Major General Valeriano De Leon said the situation in the region is still relatively peaceful as compared to the past elections.

De Leon said the PNP, together with other security forces such as the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine Coast Guard, was well prepared for these eventualities.

But 103rd Infantry Brigade commander Brigadier General Jose Maria Cuerpo said there is already a plan to declare failure of election in 14 barangays in Tubaran, Lanao del Sur, which was among the first areas put under Comelec control due to threats amid the election.

De Leon earlier said the electoral process in Tubaran started late due to disagreement of candidates and delay in the delivery of ballots. (SunStar Philippines)

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph