PH records lower firecracker-related injuries to welcome 2022

File photo
File photo

CONTRARY to the trend seen in the days leading to New Year's Eve, the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday, January 1, 2021, reported that the number of firecracker-related injuries to welcome 2022 is lower compared to a year ago.

In a press briefing, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III announced that there have been 85 firecracker-related injuries for the period of December 21, 2021 to January 1, 2022 (6 a.m.).

"Filipinos enjoyed a safer and healthier New Year celebration for 2022 with 85 cases of injuries related to fireworks," said the DOH.

"This is 11-percent lower compared to 2021 at 96 cases," he added.

This is in contrast to the trend in the last few days of December 2021, wherein the numbers are higher compared to the same period last year.

According to Duque, the lower number of firecracker-related injuries were due to the increased consciousness of the public on the unnecessary use of firecrackers.

"Our countrymen are slowly realizing that it is not worth it to use firecrackers. I believe this idea has slowly entered the consciousness of the public," Duque said.

The DOH said all injuries were caused by firecrackers and fireworks, 51 of which were caused by illegal fireworks.

Kwitis caused the most injuries at 18; followed by boga at 13; unknown firecrackers at 10; and five-star and piccolo at 7 each.

The report showed that 10 cases (12 percent) had blast/burn injury requiring amputation, 52 cases (61 percent) had blast/burn injury not requiring amputation, and 25 cases (29 percent) had eye injuries.

Hand injuries were the most common ones at 28; followed by eyes at 25; and head at 16.

The DOH said 36 cases (42 percent) were found to be active users, while 49 (58 percent) are passive users.

There were also 45 cases (53 percent) that occurred at home, 38 cases (45 percent) occurred in the street, one (4 percent) at a workplace, and one (4 percent) at a basketball court.

Most of the cases (31) occurred in the National Capital Region, followed by Western Visayas (13), and Ilocos Region (11).

The DOH said there remains to be no cases of fireworks ingestion, stray bullet injury, or death reported.

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph