911 rescue-ready

THEY did it before, and they're now all set to do it again. That is, to bring much needed medical and rescue assistance to areas that will be worst-hit by Typhoon Ruby (Hagupit).

As the threat level of Typhoon Ruby to Davao City is significantly low, the chief of the Central 911 said they are just waiting for Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to order their deployment.

Central 911 chief Emmanuel Jaldon told Sun.Star Davao in a phone interview, "Dalawa kasi ang action plan natin. Yung first, in case matamaan ang Davao City, meron tayong response plan. Since mababa ang threat level sa Davao City, ang action plan number 2 is possible deployment upon the orders of the chairman of City Disaster Council who is the mayor."

Jaldon also assured that they have enough personnel to deploy but the deployment will depend on the situation in the affected areas.

"We have enough personnel and hindi naman tayo first time nito. More or less, we have the Quick Response Team (QRT) prepared na composed of different agencies led by Central 911. Hindi pa specific ang deployment but we have our own equipment and will depend on what is applicable after the impact so hindi pa ma-determine," Jaldon said.

After Typhoon Yolanda hit Tacloban, Davao City's Central 911 was the first government medical and rescue team that arrived to give assistance.

The city dispatched doctors and nurses, as well as Philippine Army and Police Regional Office (PRO)-Davao personnel, providing much needed medical assistance and manpower to clear the areas.

As of 4 p.m. Friday, the eye of Ruby was located at 370 kilometers east of Borongan, Eastern Samar. It slightly weakened from 215 kilometers per hour to to 195 kph maximum sustained winds near the center but several areas in the country remained under public storm warning signals.

The state weather bureau forecast Ruby to make landfall over Eastern Samar-Northern Samar area Saturday evening (December 6).

rMeanwhile, police regional units in the areas in the path of the typhoon have been placed on full alert.

These areas are Calabarzon (Calamba, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon), Mimaropa (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan), Bicol, Western, Central and Eastern Visayas, Davao and Caraga, said Philippine National Police (PNP) deputy chief for operations Leonardo Espina.

Policemen were also deployed to help in the evacuation of people living near the shores, especially in Tacloban City, which was badly hit by last year's Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan). In Ormoc, 1,500 individuals were already evacuated.

"In Tacloban, most people that need to be evacuated are already in bunkhouses, only a few are still in tents near shores. People are evacuating by themselves to avoid what happened at the time of Typhoon Yolanda," said Eastern Visayas police community relations officer Superintendent Carlos Centinaje.

The PNP earlier said that the accounting and alerting of personnel started on Wednesday, as well as the preposition of search and rescue equipment such as generator sets, radio, motor vehicles. (With Sunnex)

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph