Antique furniture worth P1M destroyed in Tisa fire

SOME P1 million worth of antique furniture went up in smoke in Barangay Tisa, Cebu City yesterday.

The fire broke out at 11:45 a.m. at 539 Gold St., Riva Ridge Subdivision. Aside from two dogs, nobody died in the incident.

SFO2 Daniel Relatado Jr. of Cebu City Fire Station said they are looking into faulty old wiring as a probable cause of the fire.

FIRE. Firefighters make sure the fire that hit a house in Barangay Tisa does not reignite. No one was reported injured in the fire. (Sun.Star Cebu Photo/Allan Defensor)

Initial investigation showed the fire started in the storeroom of the two-storey house owned by Pamela Cañete, an antiques dealer.

Her daughter Prim, 28, told Sun.Star Cebu she was resting in her room when she heard a loud popping noise.


When she checked where it came from, Prim saw smoke from the storeroom, where many antique furniture pieces were kept.

Prim ran and drove their car outside the house to avoid the flames, honking to alert the neighbors.

u201cNaratol nako mao wala nako nakuha ang mga iro (I panicked and forgot the dogs),” she


Firefighters found the bodies of a dachshund and a mongrel inside their cages.

Prim had just come back from Barangay Mabolo to check on their other dogs that are

confined in a veterinary clinic when the fire erupted.

u201cSwerte lang gyud nagmata pa ko. Wa untay makapukaw nako ato (I was fortunate I was still up. I was alone in the house),” Prim said.

Her mother and step father were out-of-town yesterday.

Her sister Michelle said the fire destroyed antique furniture pieces worth P1 million.

The family had been living in the area since 1979.

Relatado urged the public to check on their electrical wiring, especially if it’s an old house. He said some wires are chewed by rats, which can cause fire.

u201cUban luag ang connection mao nang mo-spark,” he said.


No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.