AN ARMY official said on Wednesday they have yet to receive the Davao City Council's committee report on a shooting incident involving members of the 69th Infantry Battalion (IB), under Lieutenant Christopher Santos, in Pacquibato District last June 14.
In the same report, the City Council has recommended the re-assignment of Army troops involved in the incident that killed three civilians.
Lieutenant Alex Cabales, spokesperson for the 10th Infantry Division, said no committee report has so far been submitted to them regarding the matter.
"Wala pa talaga kaming natatanggap galing sa City Council," Cabales told the media during his guesting in yesterday's AFP-PNP press conference at The Royal Mandaya Hotel.
But Cabales insisted the shooting incident at Paradise Embac in Paquibato was a legitimate encounter.
"The three civilians killed in the encounter were indeed involved in the firefight after they came out positive based on the result of the paraffin tests," Cabales said in vernacular.
Davao City Councilor Karlo Bello, who presented the committee report in last Tuesday's session, said the basis of the recommendation was due to the council's distrust and lack of confidence in Army's capability to protect and defend the rights of the residents.
The civilians killed in the said encounter between government troops and suspected members of the New People's Army (NPA) were Randy Carnasa, Datu Ruben Enlog, and Oligario Quimbo.
Aside from the re-assignment of the Army personnel, the committee report also urged the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) to study the possibility of filing of murder charges against Army soldiers involved.
Cabales said that if charges were filed against their military troops, they are ready to face it.
"Ready naman tayo harapin yan. Susunod tayo sa proseso ng batas. Pero sa issue ng reassignment, hindi muna ako makakabigay ng comment kung ano mangyayari. Hintayin lang siguro desisyon ng ating mataas na officials," Cabales said. (KRP)