THE Mandaue City Government issued a final demand to the Cebu City Government for them to get a permit for operating a slaughterhouse in Barangay Subangdaku in Mandaue City.
Failure to do so might result in the closure of the establishment, the Mandaue City Government said.
Mandaue City Treasurer Regal Oliva, in a demand letter dated Aug. 14, lamented that the Cebu City Abattoir has not yet secured the mayor’s business permit since its operation started.
That, despite the notice to comply given by them Cebu City last month.
“Not having been in possession of an approved business permit/license for calendar year 2015, you are deemed operating the business illegally, in violation of the Revised Omnibus Tax Ordinance of the Mandaue City Revenue Code, which shall be a cause for legal action/s against you,” said Oliva.
The Mandaue City Treasurer’s Office, though, is giving Cebu City a non-extendable period of five days upon receipt of the final demand letter to secure a permit from them.
“Non-compliance therewith will constrain us to refer the matter to the Mandaue City Legal Office for the immediate cessation and closure of business,” the letter added.
City Treasurer Diwa Cuevas received the final demand letter of Mandaue City yesterday morning.
In an interview yesterday, Cuevas said she has already referred the matter to the Cebu City Legal Office for review and recommendation.
Cuevas also said she doesn’t know how much the Cebu City Government will be paying if it decides to apply for a permit in Mandaue City since it was not stated in the final demand letter.
“Pero kwentahon man sad na based sa revenue sa abattoir nga i-submit unya nato,” she added.
Personally, though, Cuevas said she doesn’t see the need for Cebu City to apply for a permit with the Mandaue City for operating the abattoir.
“Ang ila man gud is we need to apply a permit kay the abattoir is an economic enterprise. But this abattoir is no longer in full operation because its machineries aren’t working, the building itself is dilapidated so only a few go there,” she said.
To recall, the abattoir was among the structures in Cebu City that were affected when the Visayas was hit by a 7.2-magnitude earthquake in October 2013.
Cuevas said, though, that she will leave the matter up to the Cebu City Legal Office whether or not they will apply for a permit for the operation of the slaughterhouse.