Iloilo under state of imminent danger

ILOILO City is bracing for Typhoon Ruby (Hagupit) as the state weather bureau declared Iloilo as in the storm's direct path by Saturday, December 6.

Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog said the City Government is all set to face challenges, and pre-emptive evacuation was declared on priority coastal barangays from Arevalo district up to the city center.

Iloilo City has 30 coastal barangays, but Mabilog said there is enough time for all to prepare for the typhoon landfall by Saturday.

The City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMC) has also filed Resolution 007, Series of 2014, recommending to the City Council the declaration of state of imminent danger.

The council approved the declaration during a special session held December 5, anchored on Republic Act 1021 or “An Act strengthening the Philippine disaster risk reduction and management system providing for the national disaster risk reduction and management framework and institutionalizing the national disaster risk reduction and management plan, appropriating funds therefore and for other purposes."

The declaration opened the release of 30 percent of the local disaster risk reduction and management fund to be allocated as quick response fund, while the remaining 70 percent of the calamity fund would be utilized for pre-disaster and post-disaster activities and payment of premium on calamity insurance.

Mabilog said a command center was established at the penthouse of City Hall while 10 evacuation centers were mobilized. These are the John B. Lacson University in Arevalo campus, University of the Philippines Visayas city proper campus, St. Therese College, Western Visayas College of Science and Technology, West Visayas State University, Philippine Science High School, and Mandurriao Elementary School, among others.

Mabilog said assistance response kept pouring in for the city, and these include assurance from the Metro Manila Development Authority, League of Cities of the Philippines and several civic clubs.

The mayor also issued an executive order on Friday afternoon declaring the suspension of classes in all levels and work until Sunday as flashflood is expected by then.

Forced evacuation will be resorted to by Saturday and Sunday should the storm surges and flashfloods affect the barangays, he said.

Elements of the Philippine Army, Coast Guard and the police are on hand to lend assistance to the rescue and relief operations.

Mabilog said with the quick response fund of about P1 million to P5 million, the City can make emergency purchase of food supplies such as rich, sardines and noodles.

Families who evacuated in official evacuation centers can avail themselves of the food assistance from the social welfare and management office.

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph