OCD-CAR on red alert status over Ruby

THE Office of Civil Defense Cordillera and the regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council are now on red alert as it prepares for the possible onslaught of Typhoon Ruby.

Typhoon Ruby gains more strength and continues to moves West North West of Eastern Visayas, 34 areas in the Philippines are now under Public Storm Warning Signal number 1 and 2.

The Cordillera Regional DRRM Council recommends all Local Government Units concerned to employ proactive measures in securing their Areas of Responsibility as the first line of defense.

CRDRRMC chairperson director Andrew Alex Uy encourages members of the Cordillera Regional DRRM Council, Provincial and local DRRM councils as well as the stakeholders, media and the general public to continually execute unified efforts and heed to the call of the government in aiming for ZERO casualty.

“Our system has been tested during the onslaught of Typhoon Luis in the Region, despite our high exposure and vulnerability, we have proven that the Cordillera Region can achieve ZERO, Now; it is a challenge for us to maintain the standard we have set,” Uy stressed.

State weather forecasters said that Ruby is expected to be at 120 km east northeast of Borongan by Saturday morning.

On Sunday, Ruby is estimated to be at 50 km west of Catarman, Northern Samar or at 60 km east of Masbate City, Masbate.

By Monday, the typhoon is expected to be at in the vicinity of Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro.

Ruby is expected to leave the Philippine Area of Responsibility by Wednesday.

Meanwhile, police regional units in the areas in the path of the typhoon have been placed on full alert.

These areas are Calabarzon (Calamba, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon), Mimaropa (Mindoro,Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan), Bicol, Western, Central and Eastern Visayas, Davao and Caraga, said Philippine National Police (PNP) deputy chief for operations Leonardo Espina.

Policemen were also deployed to help in the evacuation of people living near the shores, especially in Tacloban City, which was badly hit by last year's Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan). In Ormoc, 1,500 individuals were already evacuated.

"In Tacloban, most people that need to be evacuated are already in bunkhouses, only a few are still in tents near shores. People are evacuating by themselves to avoid what happened at the time of Typhoon Yolanda," said Eastern Visayas police community relations officer Superintendent Carlos Centinaje.

The PNP earlier said that the accounting and alerting of personnel started on Wednesday as well as the preposition of search and rescue equipment such as generator sets, radio, motor vehicles. (OCD with Sunnex)

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph