ALARMED by the death of a two-year-old boy, Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza instructed the City Health Office to check repacked goods sold in the public market.
The mayor also asked administrators of the Mactan Economic Zone (Mez) to look into reports that a factory worker sold biscuits and wafer sticks packed in unlabelled bags.
“I don’t think this person has a business permit,” Radaza said in her regular news conference yesterday.
Raymund Java, information officer of the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (Peza)-Mez, said the agency is not tolerating the selling of unlabelled biscuits, but no reports of this activity has reached their office.
He also said that business activities of Mez employees outside of their work are beyond Peza’s control.
The parents of Carl Jed blamed his death on the unlabelled biscuits and wafer sticks bought by their neighbor from her co-worker in Mez.
At least four other children also fell ill allegedly after eating the goods in Barangay Punta Engaño last week.
The biscuits were reportedly smuggled out of a biscuit factory in Mandaue City.
Apart from inspection of goods in the City Public Market, Radaza said she has also instructed Eduardo Ompad, head of Department of Education-Lapu-Lapu City Division, to control the selling of food outside of schools.
A day before the alleged food poisoning in Lapu-Lapu City, at least 11 school children in Cebu City were also brought to a hospital after eating masi and puto, delicacies made of sticky rice.
Radaza said she has instructed City Health Officer Rodolfo Berame to look into the alleged food poisoning in Punta Engaño. She also requested Punta Engaño Barangay Captain Lourdes Ibag to check on the family of Carl Jed and find out how the City can help.
Berame earlier said it was possible the boy had eaten another toxic food before eating the biscuits, which had yet to be submitted for laboratory tests as of Sunday.